What is it?
Submissions are open for the ITV Red Planet Prize from March 27th to April 3rd 2020. They are looking for writers who can create unforgettable contemporary drama, characters that make you sit up, and demand you watch them and share the moment. They want to see authentic voices and stories that serve all their audiences.
Writers will be asked to think big, think how they can make their idea stand out in a competitive marketplace. This year the focus is on:
- Unmissable 4 part thriller – could be psychological, conspiracy, relationship, crime, or political and
- Returning procedural series – including crime, medical and legal, where the authenticity and diversity of the world, the characters and their relationships hook you in week after week
What to submit?
- An existing original spec’ script, full length and for any medium: TV, film, radio, theatre
- A one/two page pitch for an original TV serial or series idea for ITV
- A short CV highlighting any writing credits (these are not essential to enter)
- Screenwriters must be based in the UK or Republic of Ireland
- The idea should not be in development with another broadcaster or independent company
- For this particular competition period drama ideas will not be considered
What will happen?
Up to ten shortlisted writers will be invited to a one day pitching master-class with Tony Jordan and ITV Drama Execs, and they will then have 3 weeks to write up their pitch and series outline. Judges include Rashan Stone (Actor/Writer) Kate Rowland (Creative Producer) Chloe Tucker (ITV Drama Commissioner) Belinda Campbell (Managing Director Red Planet Pictures). Four writers will be invited to final interview to discuss their idea.
- Launch: January 23rd 2020
- Submissions Open: March 27th 2020
- Submissions Close: 9am on April 3rd 2020
- Shortlist Masterclass: May 31st 2020
- Final Interviews: June 29th 2020
- Winner announced: July 2020
The winner of the competition will get a script commission for their submitted pitch as well as development opportunities. The runners up will also be provided with development opportunities.
Deadline: 9am on April 3rd 2020
Source: BBC Writersroom