Everyman & Playhouse’s Script Submission Window is now open until Friday 24th April
New Works are committed to discovering, championing and supporting new writing from the North West. Our unsolicited script submission window opens twice a year and all scripts received that fit our criteria are guaranteed dramaturgical feedback.
What are you looking for in a script? We’re committed to brilliant, humane, forward-thinking theatre that responds to its time and place, ignites the imagination and explores what it is to be human. The new work we produce is varied and there are many different things that might excite us in a play or a writer. We’re looking for writers who have a story that they passionately want to tell through the unique power of theatre. We’re looking for those dedicated to staking their claim as a writer in this city, showing a rigorous attention to detail in their work. We are looking for original voices to produce work that is emotionally and intellectually stimulating; possessing original ideas alongside vibrant characters.
We expect all writers who submit a script to be aware of the work we programme, the size of our venues, and to know why they are sending us a particular play
What won’t you accept?
• Plays by writers who are not from or living in the Liverpool City Region
• More than one play per writer per window
• Radio, film or TV scripts
• Poetry or prose works
• Adaptations of novels or existing plays
• Plays that have previously been produced/staged beyond a Scratch or sharing
To submit a script to The New Works Team:
• Read the criteria below to see if you are eligible and what we are looking for
• Complete this short submission form (link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VM3RSCS)
• Email your script to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of your script in the subject line. Scripts should be written in a clear font (eg. size 12 in Arial, Times New Roman or Calibri). Ensure the pages are numbered and that you include a title page with a list of characters. Please do not include any personal details on the script to allow for it to be read anonymously.
If you are unable to access the submission form, or need to send your script in another format, please let us know by emailing email@example.com. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, our phonelines and buildings are currently closed.
We accept scripts from writers from and/or living in Merseyside.
What happens after I submit?
After you send in your script, you will receive confirmation and thanks that it has been received. The New Works and Artistic team will then share your anonymised scripts, separated from your submissions form, amongst our team of readers. Our readers are a diverse group made up of freelance theatre makers, writers, director and producers, as well as Everyman & Playhouse staff and community partners.
The scripts are read in two rounds. In the first-round two readers will read at least first 25 pages of your script before giving feedback. In the second round, scripts will be read in full by two readers and discussed by the team.
From our unsolicited submissions window, we are looking to support writers through;
• Supported productions and/or sharings
• Commissions and Rehearsed Readings
• Research and Development activity
• Dramaturgical Mentoring
• Free space to rehearse/ workshop work
• One to One feedback meetings
• Developing relationships with exciting local writers
All eligible scripts submitted within the window are guaranteed written feedback
When will I hear back?
We aim to feedback to everyone by the end of July
For more information, head to the Everyman & Playhouse’s website here.
Deadline: Friday 24th April
Source: Everyman & Playhouse