Participation and Literary Director
Swiss Cottage, London
Hampstead Theatre is a theatre that punches above its weight.
We like stories that haven’t been told before or are told in a way you haven’t heard before. Plays where
you care about the people, where something in the soul of it captures you.
Working with the best creative talent in the business, we create progressive, thought provoking and
We are now looking for a Participation and Literary Director to join us on a full-time basis, working 35
hours per week.
– Salary of £30,000 per annum
– 25 days’ annual leave plus Public Holidays
– Employer’s contribution to NOW! pension scheme
– Interest-free season-ticket travel loans
– Complimentary tickets for performances
– 10% discount at Hampstead Theatre’s Café Bar
This is a fantastic opportunity for a proven theatre director with experience of delivering participation
workshops to join our progressive theatre company.
Our internationally recognised theatre champions innovation, inclusion and emergent talent. In this
exciting role, you will have the opportunity to shape our future direction and usher in the next generation
So, if you’re looking for the opportunity to champion thought provoking, contemporary theatre from a
diverse talent pool, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Participation and Literary Director, you will develop our Participation Strategy by directing
workshops and readings and identifying and building relationships with emerging playwrights.
You will also read and provide reports on potential scripts for presentation and assist the Artistic Director,
Associate Director and Executive Producer in selecting repertory for the main stage and studio theatres.
You will develop a knowledge of the UK new writing scene and develop a network of professional
relationships with individual playwrights, community organisations and project partners.
© WR Group Limited 2022
All rights in the attached proof belong to WR Group Limited and you are not authorised to copy, reproduce or otherwise use
this work without our prior written consent.
Additionally, you will:
– Work with the development department on creative engagement funding applications
– Collaborate with the marketing team to promote the Literary and Participation strategy
To be considered as the Participation and Literary Director, you will need:
– Experience as a theatre director
– Previous experience delivering participation workshops, readings and productions, preferably in a new
– Experience of reading and reporting on new plays in a professional context
– The ability to communicate with and build relationships with individuals from a diverse range of
– A demonstrable commitment to new writing and knowledge of the new writing scene
– To be tactful, diplomatic with the ability to maintain confidentiality for sensitive information
– An approachable demeanour and the ability to communicate and advocate for the work of the theatre
– To be available for evening and weekend events when necessary
Please note that due to the nature of this position you will need to be able to provide a satisfactory
Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check.
Other organisations might call this Theatre Director, Head of Participation and Theatrical Writing, Head of
Writing and Engagement, Creative Learning Director, Head of Education, or Writing and Engagement
Webrecruit and Hampstead Theatre are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly
committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for
employment. We believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you can help us find the next generation of playwrights as our Participation and Literary Director,
please apply here. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services
advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Deadline for applications: midday on Tuesday 2 August 2022
Source: direct contact