In Spring 2015, the Royal Court will again be running their Introduction to Playwriting group – a group for writers who want to write for the stage and are just starting to do so.
The groups are a friendly and supportive environment where playwrights at an early stage of their career can explore the possibilities of writing for live performance. The groups are facilitated by a playwright we are currently working with and excited by. At the end of the group, group members get to submit a play they have worked on the course of the group and receive detailed feedback on it. It’s perfect if you’ve got an interest in writing for the stage but little experience – none at all is necessary.
Dates: The group will run for eight weeks from Monday 2nd March (with a break for Easter). Each session will be around 2 hours long and will commence at 6.30pm, taking place here at the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square. There is no fee to take part and no age limit. The closing date for completed applications is 12 noon on Monday 9th February.
How to apply: To apply, please send ten pages of your writing for the stage: this can either be ten pages of an existing play of any length, or ten pages of work you have written specially. They encourage you to send your submission electronically to email@example.com if you can, but if not, send a hard copy plus a completed application form to:
ROYAL COURT THEATRE
Please attach to one email both your writing sample and the completed application form (taking care to include your own name in the name of each file). The application form can be downloaded from the link on the left hand side of this page.
More details on what to submit:
• Your extract can be of any genre and feature any number of characters, but must be intended for the stage and not for film, television or radio. It should not be an adaptation of a story from another medium
• Do not include any other materials (photographs, CVs etc)
• You can send us an application if you’ve applied before, but please do not apply for this group if you have taken part in an introductory group at the Royal Court since 2005
• We will not be able to send you feedback on your submission and because of the volume we receive, we can’t take late applications (so send it in early!)
• You will receive an acknowledgement whether you send your script by email or post
• If you are sending your application electronically, please include your name somewhere in the document’s title
• Please send your documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .pdf format
You will know by 6pm on Monday 23rd February whether your application has been successful.
Deadline: Monday 9 February 2015 at noon
Source: Royal Court website