Award nominated company Last Word Theatre are looking to curate Minerva – a short season of new writing at the White Bear in Kennington. They are looking for short plays which respond to the themes of the main show Eros by Kevin Mandry (Running 28th August – 15th September) which is being directed by Last Word’s Artistic Director Stephen Bailey.
“Alongside our main show we want to programme work that comes from different angle but considers the same issues, work that develops the conversations and expands perspectives.
Eros is concerned with consent and objectification of the female body within erotic art .”
They are interested in pieces which explore the theme of the objectification of the human form.
“This can take any angle you wish and we encourage innovative and ambitious ideas. We want plays that are rooted in the modern day, represent marginalised voices and will challenge audience preconceptions.
The three selected shows will be given four hours of rehearsal space, dramaturgical support and help with casting. They will then play after the show (which runs as approximately 85 minutes) to our audience for three nights.”
Play 1: 29th August – 31st August.
Play 2: 4th September – 6th September
Play 3: 11th September – 13th September
- 15 minutes maximum in length.
- Maximum 3 characters.
- 1 play per writer.
- Stand-alone pieces only (no extracts, screenplays, etc)
- You must be resident in the UK.
- Minimal staging requirements (Eros’ set is a photographer’s studio but leaves much of the stage open. You can use light and sound but cannot reprogramme or move Eros’ equipment.
- You do not need to send a CV. We will be selecting on work not experience.
- If you have intended director’s/cast members please indicate this in your initial email.
“We are committed to promoting writers from any and all backgrounds. For this project we are particularly interested in female writers, BAMER writers and those who self-identify as disabled. Submissions will be read by Stephen Bailey (Trained at LAMDA, Script Reader at Finborough Theatre, European Theatre Convention Scholar 2018) and Kevin Mandry (former reader at the Orange Tree, written for BBC and commissioned by Tricycle, Churchill Theatre and Bristol Old Vic Studio among others)”
What they offer:
- Three performances over a week following the main show.
- Assistance in sourcing actors, directors and technical support.
- Four hours of rehearsal space.
- In person dramaturgical input on the draft you send if chosen.
- Written feedback for the next best 20 scripts.
- Full sharing of all industry contacts in attendance on your performances and we will pass on details of your team to them.
- Comps to invite industry.
- Tickets for the writer to see their work.
How to apply: email a pdf copy of the script to email@example.com by
Deadline: 15 August 2018
Source: direct contact