Calling all writers and horror fans! To celebrate their 5th year and as part of our dedication to support new work in the horror theatre world, this year the London Horror Festival and the Etcetera Theatre are teaming up to host a short playwriting competition with the guiding theme ‘It’s not what it seems …’
They are looking for unique, dark and intimate storytelling to terrify and disturb our opening night audience. They welcome entries from anyone and everyone, whether you are a first time scribe or a seasoned horror theatre pro. If you have a penchant for writing and a love for horror we can’t wait to hear from you.
Submissions are open from now until Saturday 15th August, after which the festival team will shortlist 3 plays to be staged by a professional cast and crew at The Etcetera Theatre, one of London’s top fringe venues and official home of the London Horror Festival. The plays will be performed on Monday 5th October, at the opening night of the 2015 festival. (Shortlisted plays will be announced in September.)
And for one lucky writer, there will be an amazing special prize…..The overall winning play, which will be chosen and announced on the night by a special guest judge, will be automatically granted a 3 night performance slot at the Black Box Festival in January 2016, with the opportunity to stage a fully developed production of their play!
What to submit: Below are the competition requirements:
- Submissions should be between 10-15minutes long
- Plays should be written to the theme of ‘It’s not what it seems…’ and fit into the horror genre. Be imaginative with this! The more creatively this is interpreted the better!
- The play must be set in one room only
- The play must be limited to two characters.
- To give you an idea of the performance space the specs of the Etcetera are as follows:
– The stage is 5m wide x 3m70 deep.
– Two entrances are downstage left (main theatre entrance) and upstage left (to the dressing room).
– The dressing room links back to the main corridor so both entrances can be used during the performance.
– They have a number of furniture items available (chairs, stools, bench, tables, sofa)
– Due to health and safety regulations, the fire exit signs have to be on so be aware the theatre can’t go to complete black.
How to apply: Plays should be submitted by email, in Word or PDF formats. Please send submissions and any enquiries to email@example.com
Deadline: Saturday 15 August 2015
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook Group