CALLING SPOOKY WRITERS FAR AND WIDE!
The London Horror Festival and Danse Macabre Productions are teaming up once more to host the LHF Playwriting Competition 2021!
As part of the LHF’s continual commitment to championing new writing, this year we’re looking for 30
minute horror plays under the theme ‘Your Worst Nightmare’. Three plays will be shortlisted and then
performed as part of the festival in front of a panel of industry professionals who will announce the winner live and officially launch the London Horror Festival 2021!
THIS YEAR’S FESTIVAL…
The last year and a half have taught us the true meaning of horror so now’s the time to make some good of it. To
recognise 18 months of theatre’s worst nightmare, this year’s theme is *drum roll* YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!
We want to see your worst nightmares brought to the stage. We want to scream, to laugh, to cry and probably
scream again. We want scripts that celebrate horror, that celebrate theatre and, most of all, that celebrate the
point where the two of them meet.
All scripts will be read by our carefully selected panel of readers and three will be shortlisted. The shortlisted
scripts will receive a rehearsed reading on the opening night of the London Horror Festival in front of a panel of
judges who will choose the winning script.
How to apply: send your work to email@example.com.
Please include the following details:
• Your name.
• A contact telephone number.
• Your email address.
• Your agent’s details (if applicable).
• Whether you will be able to attend the rehearsed reading at 8pm on Monday 18th October 2021 at The
Pleasance, Islington should your play be shortlisted.
• The script in .pdf format. Word documents are also accepted but your script will not be read if it is not
in one of these two formats.
• A title page and page numbers in the script.
• Where you heard about the competition.
Please also note:
• Unfortunately we’re not able to accept plays from writers based outside of the UK.
• We only accept submissions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We do not accept scripts written for television, film or radio, treatments or incomplete works, long
plays over 30 minutes duration, musicals, or plays not in the English Language.
• We cannot accept more than two examples of a writer’s work.
• New drafts and/or amendments cannot be accepted once the literary team is considering a play.
• We’re looking for new plays. We can’t accept scripts that have already been produced.
This opportunity is unpaid. Writers keep all rights to their work.
Read the full guidelines here.
DEADline: Tuesday 31st August 2021 at the stroke of MIDNIGHT
Entries received after this time will not be considered. The three finalists will be announced on 30th September.
Source: direct contact