If you are aged 25 years or younger and would like to enter the Mustapha Matura Award and Mentoring Programme to win £3,000 and mentoring from a top Black British playwright. Run by the Alfred Fagon Awards, The Mustapha Matura Award is supported by the Estate of Mustapha Matura, The Henry and Mary Kent Trust and many individual donors.
Entrants to the Mustapha Matura Award are also eligible to enter the Alfred Fagon Award for Best New Play of the Year.
- The competition is open to any playwright of Caribbean or African descent, resident in the UK, for the best original, new stage play in English. Entrants must confirm on their CV that that they are of African and Caribbean descent.
- Entrants must be 25 years or under at the time of submission. The AFA reserves the right to disqualify any entry that does not meet the age criteria at the time of submission.
- The play does not need to have been produced. However, if it has, only plays produced since August 2022 will be considered.
- Each entrant can submit only one play. A play may also be nominated by a third party with the writer’s consent (e.g. via an agent).
- Television, radio plays and film scripts will not be considered.
Only shortlisted writers will be contacted in early November 2023.
The writer of the winning play will be announced at The Alfred Fagon Award ceremony in November 2023.
Deadline: 5pm, Monday, 31 July 2023
Source: Write A Play