Function Factory Theatre are seeking three new scripts to stage as rehearsed readings in North West England, in Autumn 2014, through the Rebel Voices Playwriting Competition. Three selected writers will get the chance to workshop their scripts with a director and actors before being performed in 2 studio venues. At these venues, audiences will be given the chance to feedback on each of the three scripts and one script will be chosen for further development by the company.
Theme: They are looking for plays that are inspired by the social and political changes that took place in Britain during the First World War 1914 -18. The play does not have to be set during this period as long as the links are clear, and the piece can have a direct or indirect connection with the war and it’s consequences.
What to submit: Your script must respond to the theme of the First World War. Additionally:
- Scripts that can be performed with a maximum of 4 actors, and that have both male and female characters featured, although they expect the female character/s to be central to the story as there are still less opportunities for women in theatre, compared to men.
- The story must be able to be told within 30 minutes although it should have the potential to develop further.
- Although mature themes are welcomed, the rehearsed readings will be performed in a variety of venues so strong sexual or violent content will not be suitable and bad language if necessary should be kept to a minimum.
- Function Factory Theatre will be a developing another script in tandem based on the life of a Lancashire suffragist and peace campaigner, so if similar topic is explored we will be looking for an original angle on the subject matter.
What you pay: The entry fee for submissions is £10 per script and must be paid by Paypal.
How to apply:
- All applicants must be aged 18 or above.
- Submit the first 10 pages of your script only.
- The first page should feature the title of your script, your name and contact details, including your email address.
- The second page should feature a list of all characters and a 100 word synopsis of your play.
- Scripts must be emailed to email@example.com by midnight on 30th July 2014.
Deadline: 30 July 2014 at midnight