Studio Firsts provides emerging Black theatre-makers with the time, space and support to create new work, explore new ideas and develop new techniques.
Talawa Theatre Company will work with 3 emerging artists or companies; giving exclusive use of our Studio for one week of research and development in November 2015.
Whether you are a director, deviser, sound engineer or multi-disciplinary artist, if you have a new idea to test or explore, Talawa wants to hear from you. Studio Firsts creates a space in which emerging artists (18+) can experiment and take risks: they are not looking for applications from playwrights or directors reviving a classic text. This is not about offering a free rehearsal space, but about Talawa investing in you as a theatre-maker and supporting you in developing something new.
What to submit: To enter, you will need to complete a short application form and monitoring form and submit by Friday 25 September.
- Your Idea: We are looking for artists/companies who are keen to explore, experiment and play. Whether you are at the beginning of a project or developing something you have already started working on, this is an opportunity to take it to the next level.
- Space: Talawa’s Studio in Old Street will be made available to successful applicants for up to a week free of charge.
- Support: Talawa will offer bespoke support during the research and development week, as appropriate. For example, literary support, one-on-one meetings with a producer or marketing manager.
- Evaluation: Talawa will ensure the artists/companies have time to reflect, discuss and share the results of the process and plans for the future.
The Talawa artistic team will then form a shortlist of applicants and invite those shortlisted to interview.
Applicants will be informed in the second half of October if they have been successful.
How to apply: Download the application form and equal opportunities monitoring form below, complete and submit to email@example.com.
- Studio Firsts – Application Form
- Studio Firsts – Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
- (save files and open in Word to edit)
Deadline: Friday 25 September 2015