The Squint Playwriting Award discovers, develops and champions exceptional playwrights of the future.
Squint Theatre are addressing the lack of financial support for early career writers with a paid playwriting programme designed to support East London artists from low-income backgrounds for whom money is currently a barrier to professional development.
The six-month programme enables ten participants to develop their writing across sixteen workshops, culminating in an industry showcase of original scenes and short plays. Following the showcase, one participant will be awarded a full commission to develop an original play with Squint.
The programme is free of charge and financially supported for all participants in the form of:
- London Living Wage (£11.95/hour) for all contact hours.
- London Travel Expenses for all sessions.
- Access Bursaries where necessary.
To be eligible for the programme, participants must be:
- From a low-income background and currently in a position where money is a barrier to professional development.
- Over the age of eighteen at the start of the programme (no maximum age).
- Living, studying and/or working in East London.
- In the early stages of a playwriting career.
- Ready to develop playwriting practice through a sustained period of professional development.
Deadline: 8pm on Monday 8th May 2023
Source: BBC Writers Room