Young Harts Writing Festival is an inter-borough new writing festival, which merges the gap between emerging young artists and professionals. Through an online competition, six plays from emerging young writers will be chosen. They receive a £100 commission and a free writing master class with Inua Ellams, as well as another month to complete their plays. Each young writer will be partnered with a professional writer as a mentor.
The theme is Home, and they are particularly interested in ethnically diverse writers. The opportunity is open to those between 11-25 year-olds.
What they’re looking for:
- Your play must be NO MORE than 10 minutes in length.
- They will be choosing 6 (including one special commendation piece) original plays from outstanding writers aged 11-25 who have a story that relates to the theme.
- They are looking for writers with a unique and distinctive voice. There is no skills remit, or level of experience you need to have. They want to hear from everyone who has a story to tell.
- If selected, your piece will be performed as part of the festival on 6th or 7th April 2018 at Lyric Hammersmith.
- Your play should only feature between 2 and 5 characters. They will not accept monologues
- The festival is aimed at mixed age audiences. Therefore they ask that pieces do not contain excessive use of swear words or depictions of sex and violence.
How to apply: To apply, you must download an application form which can be found here, and email this along with your play to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Young Harts Fest 2018’ and your name.
Deadline: 16 February 2018 at 5pm
Source: Word of mouth