Act Bedford – New writing is invited for this year’s season of winter plays on Bedford Radio.
Guidelines and further information:
- This year the theme is ‘winter’ and plays must also be linked in some manner to Bedford and/or the area surrounding it.
- (Three counties plus) Writers must have a strong connection to the ‘three counties’ (Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire. They can stretch this slightly for Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire). For example born, worked, lived in the areas are all such connections.
- Original audio plays of 10 – 15 minutes length only.
- As of the time of writing, up to 6 actors will be available for each script. In light of the current health crisis this number can be changed and writers should consider this.
- The play should have a front page containing – title of play, writers contact details, a single sentence explaining their connection to the three counties plus, a brief (thirty word max) synopsis.
- Pages should be numbered and the writers name should not appear within the body of the script (cover page only).
- Writers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Writers should be aware that most opportunities, for the season of audio plays, will be daytime slots. Therefore content and language should be tailored to a pre-watershed audience.
- It has been suggested by Bedford Radio that a few plays can be scheduled for late evening. Content for these can be of an after watershed nature. If you wish to submit for these, few, late evening slots, then annotate your cover page with the words ‘EVENING SCHEDULE’.
- Bedford Radio has an audience of mainly 30 to 50+ year olds.
- Work should be submitted in an easily downloadable format.
- At the time of the closing date, all writers will have received an acknowledgement of receipt of their work and an update of progress being made.
- Those writers who work is selected agree that their play will move onto receive a ‘table-read’ (or Covid equivalent). If successful, the play will then progress into audio rehearsal, be recorded and then played on the radio.
- It is planned that those whose work is progressing to table-reads will be notified in October. This will be copied to all those taking part.
- As well as being able to listen to their piece played, on the radio, each recorded writer will receive a copy of the recording.
*** Please note that all people working on the plays are unpaid as are all DJ’s and volunteer staff at our chosen radio station (Bedford Radio).
For further information visit Radio Bedford’s Facebook page or contact them at: email@example.com.
Deadline: 22 August 2021
Source: BBC Writersoom