Giant Cherry Productions are pleased to announce the launch of their new annual LGBT Playwriting Contest!
The premise is simple: they are on the lookout for the next great gay play with LGBT characters, stories or themes. Three scripts will be selected as finalists and then performed as staged readings in London in Autumn 2015. Of these three finalists, one overall winner will be chosen and have their play produced by Giant Cherry Productions as a full theatrical production in Spring 2016.
Entries to the contest will be accepted from 1st August 2014 – 28th February 2015. The three finalists will be announced on 31st March 2015.
What you pay: First or only entries to the contest cost £20. Second or subsequent entries cost £15.
What you get: The three finalists will receive the following:
- Promotion of themselves and their plays on the Giant Cherry Productions website and our social media channels as well as to our network of theatre professionals and industry contacts.
- An invitation to attend castings for their play, attend table reads, workshops and rehearsals.
- Having their play performed as a staged reading to an invited industry audience as part of a three night showcase in London in Autumn 2015.
THE WINNER will receive all of the above as well as having their winning play produced by Giant Cherry Productions for a full theatrical run in London in Spring 2016.
What to submit: In their own words:
“We are looking for plays that fit in with Giant Cherry’s manifesto of staging exciting, compelling new LGBT works. They can make us laugh, make us cry, they can be controversial, they can push the envelope. We believe that LGBT theatre should be about taking risks, challenging audiences’ perceptions and provoking their thoughts and imaginations.
Please see our ABOUT US page for full details on Giant Cherry’s mission statement.”
How to apply: To enter the contest, please follow these steps:
- Read the FULL RULES of the contest
- Complete the ENTRY FORM on the left of the competition’s information page
- Send the fee payment via the appropriate Paypal links
- Email a PDF copy of your play to [email@example.com]
Deadline: 28 February 2014