Almost Random Theatre is seeking short plays about Veganism to be performed in Oxford in May/June 2016.
What to submit:
- Each play must be between 5 and 30 minutes.
- The play must require no more than THREE actors and at least one of the characters MUST be aged 50 or over.
- The theme of the competition is ‘Veganism’: “Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or poultry. Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.” (For further information please see this link.)
If you wish you can also take the Vegan Pledge – however, writers are not required to be Vegan in order to enter the competition. Please also note:
“The plays do NOT have to be pro- or anti-veganism. They simply have to have veganism as a THEME. This is NOT a competition to promote veganism, but it IS one to stimulate discussion.”
- One entry per playwright is permitted.
- Plays are to be written by a single playwright, excluding partnerships or committees.
- Plays entered must be submitted in English. Musicals and dance pieces are not eligible
- All scripts must have pagination and be formatted in such a way as to be readable.
- The play must not have been staged, read through in public or been published before.
- They can only accommodate very basic sound/lighting. No sets or ‘effects’. Time will be extremely limited in regard to technical rehearsals so writers, please adhere to this.
- For full rules and guidelines, please see their website.
How to apply: All entries must be by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries must be in a Word document. The entry must NOT include your name and contact details. A separate document should list these – and include a synopsis of the play. Failure to comply with this will mean the play is discarded, unread, unforwarded and sadly, unwanted.
What you get: The top plays will be performed in Oxford in May/June 2016. They will also be performing them in London. (Date to be announced). Plus the plays will be filmed so even if you cannot come and see them you’ll be able to view the performances at a distance, spread the word, show your friends etc. You will also be sent three free tickets.
Deadline: 27 February 2016
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook Group