Submissions are now open for the Papatango New Writing Prize 2015.
What to submit: In their own words:
“Papatango are not prescriptive in the plays we consider, asking only that they have never before been professionally performed, although musicals, adaptations and children’s plays are not eligible.
We look favourably on plays that say something about the contemporary world or the way we live now, and which have a distinct theatrical language that makes them beautiful and unforgettable on stage. We are not in general keen on plays about people trying to put on a play, plays drawn from literary biographies, or plays which are heavily rooted in documented historical events.”
What you get: The 2015 Papatango New Writing Prize winner will receive a four week run at Southwark Playhouse and publication with Nick Hern Books in Autumn 2015.
- The competition is open to anyone resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland only.
- There is no age limit.
- The play must have a playing time of at least ninety minutes.
- They can only accept one entry per person.
- The play must be an original, unperformed and unproduced piece of work. It cannot have received a professional production in any form, anywhere in the world, apart from an absolute maximum of three rehearsed/staged readings or workshops only. Amateur productions do not apply. Any scripts that have been professionally produced or published will be automatically disqualified.
- Translations, children’s plays, adaptations, music theatre, television, film or radio scripts are not eligible for the competition.
- The entrant must exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the submitted script. It must be available for production and unattached to any other organisation or individual.
Script formatting: SCRIPTS MUST NOT INCLUDE THE AUTHOR’S NAME (OR ANY PSEUDONYM), ADDRESS OR EMAIL ANYWHERE IN THE DOCUMENT. All scripts must include a phone number only on the front page of the script. (Please make sure that any phone number you give is one that you will still have in May 2015 when the winner is announced. You may include up to 2 phone numbers if you wish). As anonymity is a key requirement of the process, any scripts that break this rule will be automatically disqualified.
- All entries should include page numbers on every page.
- They are only able to accept entries submitted by email in Word or PDF format. Entries must be entirely complete and in one document only.
How to apply: All entries should be emailed to email@example.com. (Any entry made to the Southwark Playhouse will be disqualified.)
Deadline: 31 March 2015 at midnight