Live Theatre has an international reputation for developing and nurturing talented playwrights and offers regular introductory workshops to get people writing relevant and engaging plays. This popular course aims to give writers a sound understanding of the key elements of playwriting through a combination of practical exercises and discussion. What makes a great story and how do you tell it? What makes a character leap off the page? Learn about playwriting from people who know.
Places on Live Theatre’s free Introduction to Playwriting course are limited so if you’re interested in honing your playwriting skills get your application in now. Previous students of the course who have gone on to have work produced on our main stage include Paddy Campbell (Wet House), Lee Mattinson (Chalet Lines and Me & Cilla) and Fiona Evans (Geordie Sinatra and Geoff Dead: Disco For Sale).
Applications are welcome from writers of all experience levels.
How to apply: submit a brief synopsis of an original stage play to firstname.lastname@example.org
The synopsis can be from a stage play you have already written, one you are currently writing or one you would like to write. The synopsis should be no more than 250 words long. If you’ve never written a synopsis before don’t be put off, all you need to do is break your idea down into three brief paragraphs:
- The first paragraph deals with what happens at the beginning of your play
- The second paragraph deals with what happens in the middle of your play
- The third paragraph deals with what happens at the end of your play
As well as your synopsis, they’d like to know a bit about you:
- What (if anything) have you written before?
- What do you want to write about?
- What do you hope to get from completing the course?
- What is your favourite play; why do you like it?
- Are you able to commit to attending all five sessions?
The five-week course begins on 6 May 2014 and runs on Tuesday evenings between 6.30pm and 9pm at Live.
LOCATION: Live Theatre Gallery
COST: Free, applications essential
Deadline: Sunday 6 April 2014. *Successful applicants will be notified by Monday 14 April 2014.*