Channel 4 has a vacancy for an Assistant Script Editor in their Drama department to work on Hollyoaks.
The role is offered on a 12 months’ fixed term contract and is based in London.
The Drama department is responsible for Drama output across all the portfolio of channels, predominantly Channel 4 and E4. They are committed to ambitious, thought provoking, bold and entertaining programmes that help define the channels and provide a tonal range across many formats.
Working to the Commissioning Editor, Pre-Watershed Drama the assistant script editor is principally required to support the commissioning editor in ensuring delivery and quality control across all Hollyoaks scripts and storylines.
Key responsibilities include:
- To ensure that all script and storyline materials are read and responded to within an appropriate amount of time.
- To attend script and story conferences when required.
- To prepare clear notes on scripts, storylines and shooting scripts and to ensure that they are effectively and sensitively communicated to the Hollyoaks editorial team.
- To ensure that all scripts, storylines and finished episodes are compliant with C4 editorial policy and the Ofcom code.
- To compile notes on fine cuts of episodes to ensure that the integrity of storylines and compliance notes are observed and to exercise overall quality control where required.
- To work to the directive of the Commissioning Editor, Pre Watershed Drama in ensuring that all C4 departments are well briefed on the editorial content of the show in order that Hollyoaks is appropriately publicised and promoted.
- To find and develop new writing and directing talent through Hollyoaks and to ensure that C4’s policies on diversity are observed in these endeavours.
- To maintain a clear and good working relationship with Lime Pictures and the Hollyoaks production through a regular telephone dialogue and frequent visits to the production.
Essential requirements for this role:
- Previous experience of drama production and script editing in television, ideally on a soap or drama series.
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from tight schedules, deadlines and conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and interest in television production.
- Practical experience of and enthusiasm for research and evidence of an inventive, rigorous and pro-active approach.
- Experience of script reading and writing script notes at speed – with an ability to demonstrate sound editorial judgement and sensitivity, both verbally and on paper.
- A sympathetic understanding of script writers and the script writing process.
- The ability to interpret editorial intentions, and to contribute to the generation of ideas and the resolution of script problems.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office and administration systems.
- The ability to communicate information effectively to a wide range of production and non-production personnel, internal and external to Channel 4.
- Experience of handling confidential and/or controversial information with tact and sensitivity.
- A high degree of motivation and the ability to set own priorities and be self-directing.
- Effective time-management and organisational skills and the ability to exercise initiative and work independently.
- The ability to adopt a flexible approach, manage a variable workload and adapt to the different styles of the various writers and the production team.
How to apply: The job reference is DR0007. Here’s your link to the online application:
Deadline: 25 January 2015 at midnight
Source: IdeasTap Jobs