BBC Wales is launching a brand-new initiative to find up to three new comedy programmes for BBC One Wales and BBC iPlayer.
Find Me Funny is a new comedy pilot initiative aimed at writers living or working full time in Wales, or those writers who can represent Welsh culture with authenticity, with the aim of commissioning and broadcasting the sit-coms or comedy drama pilots in 2018/19. The pilot that makes the biggest impact – and gets the most laughs – will go on to be commissioned as a series.
- Submissions should be a comedy-drama or situation comedy script for television and iPlayer of at least 30 minutes in length. They are not looking for ‘mockumentary’.
- This is a comedy initiative designed to reflect contemporary Wales and is open to writers living or working full time in Wales, or those writers who can represent Welsh culture with authenticity.
- Writers may also attach a brief outline (1-3 pages) of further episodes and the series as a whole.
- Writers can submit a maximum of two scripts. These scripts should not have been previously produced.
- All scripts will be read “blind”, i.e. without a name attached, until after full-read stage. Please remember to remove your name and contact details from your script.
- All submissions will be guaranteed at least a ten-page read from the reading panel. Longlisted submissions will be read in full. BBC Writersroom producers and BBC Wales commissioners will read all shortlisted submissions.
- Scripts can be submitted with or without a production company attached. Where a script is unattached, we will partner successful scripts with appropriate production companies.
Budding and established writers have two months to complete their pilots, which should be at least 30 minutes long.
How to apply: All submissions must be made via the BBC e-submissions system. (The link for submissions will be provided at a later date.)
Deadline: 18 January 2018