Chelsea Young Writers are seeking one or more Teaching Assistant(s) / Facilitator(s) for creative writing workshops for children aged 7-12. Areas: Notting Hill, Kensington & Chelsea, Swiss Cottage. Initially anticipated hours: 5-10 hours per week. This is a freelance part time position. Competitive hourly rate.
The Chelsea Young Writers club’s prime activity is to stimulate creative thinking and writing skills in children.
- Supervising and assisting a group of up to 12 children aged 7-12 during after-school and holiday courses;
- Setting up the class and clearing away, distributing resources, liaising with tutors and authors;
- Undertaking any additional administrative tasks or equipment duties when needed;
- Students registration and releasing;
- Guiding and encouraging students with their work, sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm for literacy and the written word;
- Assisting authors and tutors in delivering workshops in a fun, safe and energetic way;
- Ensuring the discipline is in place and children’s behavior is appropriate;
- Communicating with children, parents and staff in an amicable and professional manner.
You have a university degree – or working towards one – in English, Creative Writing or other relevant field.
You have previous experience as facilitator/ teaching assistant working with children of primary school age either in a supportive or a coaching role. You will bring a passion for working with children and young adults, a keen interest in writing and reading, a friendly personality, excellent communication skills which you will exercise with children, parents and school staff. You are good at time management and attentive to details. You must have a hands-on approach to the job and be capable of supervising a group of young students providing assistance in a professional but friendly manner. Some of the classes take place in schools as part of after-schools clubs. Great class management skills are crucial.
Please note that you must either currently have, or be prepared to be get, a full DBS (formerly CRB) check.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Application deadline: Friday 28thOctober 2016
source: arts jobs