EFCT announces Crashbox! A new festival of short plays presented in the style of Old Time Radio. They are opening submissions for short genre scripts written to be heard but not seen, which their creative teams will then turn into a night of reader’s theatre, augmented with spectacular live sound effects and music, guaranteed to thrill your ears and ignite your imagination. This annual festival will spotlight a different genre of radio play every year. Their inaugural Crashbox!’s genre is Noir.
Noir narratives are most associated with stark, dark, oh-so-stylish crime dramas popularized in novels and films from the 1920s all the way through the 1950s. A world-weary detective may lose their evening (or more!) to a creaking door, a crooked cop, and a creepy henchman as they solve mysteries full of macguffins, double crosses and rapid-fire…dialogue. Beloved examples of Noir-style include the classics The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and more contemporary takes like Blood Simple and Brick.
Six finalists will have their play produced in our festival to be presented at The Edge Off Broadway, 1133 W Catalpa Ave, Chicago, IL 60640 November 16th through November 19th. All featured plays will receive at minimum a $50 Award. A $250 Award will be presented for best production as adjudicated by a panel of Chicago Theater professionals and genre experts. A $250 Audience Award will also be presented to the festival favorite as determined by the audiences.
- Deadline for submissions is July 31, 2023.
- Scripts should be written for radio theatre, meaning only character dialogue, music, and sound effects should be scripted. No stage directions! All elements will be performed live. For proper radio play formatting, please follow the link: https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/radious.pdf
- Crashbox! reads all submissions anonymously. Please provide playwright name and contact information on only the cover page of your submitted script.
- Scripts cannot contain copyrighted music unless the playwright owns the music’s copyright, or has written permission from the music’s copyright owner.
- Script length not to exceed 20 minutes.
- Scripts should be written for a maximum of 5 actors, but infinite characters. Please list all double/triple casting in your play’s character descriptions.
- Playwrights cannot submit more than 2 scripts per year for Crashbox! If more than 2 scripts are submitted by the same playwright, we’ll pick 2 at random. Only one play per playwright may be featured per Crashbox! Festival per season.
- Scripts must be previously unproduced, BUT may include pre-existing characters created by playwright for previously produced pieces.
- Submit scripts as pdfs to email@example.com
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook group