Tamasha Theatre will be holding an Introduction to Playwriting Workshop with Fin Kennedy on Friday 5 December 2014, from 10am-6pm in the Paines Plough rehearsal room (Aldwych, London, WC2B 4DN).
About the workshop: This one-day workshop for beginners aims to introduce some basic principles of dramatic storytelling, and demystify some key terms. What is the difference between Story, Plot and Narrative? Or between Objective and Motivation? Why is character Action important and how is it built up to generate interesting and unexpected Events?
With reference to professional texts from the recent canon of new British theatre writing, this practical class will break down several scenes to reveal the ‘architecture’ beneath, in order to give participants the tools to structure and write their own original scenes from scratch.
Writing time will be factored into the day, and verbal feedback offered on participants’ writing.
Tutor Fin Kennedy is an award-winning playwright and co-Artistic Director of Tamasha.
This workshop is suitable for:
- Those with no experience of playwriting.
- For actors / directors / theatre artists who want to explore if writing is for them.
- For writers with some experience who would like a refresher.
- Please phone the office if you are unsure if it is for you / would like to talk it through.
- This is open to artists from all cultural backgrounds.
Workshop fee: £50 (inc VAT) for the full day.
Payment must be received in advance, upon confirmation that you have been allocated a place.
(In order to continue to run our workshops, they need a minimum number of participants to cover the room hire and workshop leader’s fee, so please also note that if you cancel your place on or after 3rd December 2014, then they will be unable to refund the fee.)
What to submit:
No formal qualifications are necessary to apply, however applicants must demonstrate an interest in writing for theatre. Applications should include:
1) A statement of interest (max. 500 words) covering: what is your particular interest in this masterclass?
2) Your current CV if you have one, including any relevant experience (this does not have to specifically refer to your writing interests)
3) A completed Data Form which you can download here>
How to apply: Please email Felicity on firstname.lastname@example.org with your application with subject line ‘Fin workshop’ or call the office on 0207 749 0090 if you have any questions.
Deadline: Friday 28 November 2014