LegalAliens in collaboration with New Tides Platform and Migrant Dramaturgies Network is looking for plays by EU-based playwrights on the theme of Migrations: Harbour Europe.
They are encouraging submissions that address and reflect on the broad topic of migration and Europe. While they acknowledge the importance of documentary/ verbatim plays that deal directly with migratory identities and experiences, this CfP wishes to attract original, bold and imaginative scripts which fully embrace theatricality and offers creative/ aesthetic alternatives for (re)imagining migrancy in Europe today.
They welcome plays that challenge stereotypes, clichés and dominant narratives of migration. The call is intentionally broad and can be approached literally, metaphorically or abstractly. This is to allow writers to interpret the theme widely. Yet, playwrights might wish to reflect on some relevant questions, such as: How recent geopolitical and economic events affected people’s perception of Europe? What is the relationship between those who arrive and those who reside, i.e. migrants and host communities? Who is the other and what it means to be a foreigner? How is ‘Fortress Europe’ seen from the outside? What is home?
They particularly encourage submissions from strong female voices and playwrights who identify as migrants or of migrant descent (including those born in an EU country but living in another or born outside the EU but currently living/working in Europe).
- Written in a European language (including English)
- Please include a one-page synopsis in English. If an English translation exists, it can also be attached, with the understanding that LegalAliens is likely to create a new translation
- Plays already performed in their original language are welcome, provided they’ve never been presented in the UK
- Between 60-80 minutes in length
- 1-5 actors (multi-roling accepted)
- Submitted in .doc or .pdf format
Submissions will be read by a panel composed of theatre-makers (directors, actors, dramaturgs), translators, academics and theatre critics. Up to three plays will be selected and translated into English. After selection (and translation), plays will be given a week of R&D with our team in London and presented as staged readings at the Tristan Bates Theatre in Central London. Staged readings will be followed by public debates led by international theatre scholars. They hope to identify at least one play to take forward into full production, directed by Becka McFadden.
How to apply: please send your play together with a one-page synopsis in English to both: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Shortlist announced by 10 December 2018.
- R&D: February 2019.
- Staged Readings: February-March 2019 (dates TBC).
- Full production: June 2019 (dates TBC).
Deadline: 15 October 2018