Arts and literature charity Living Words is excited to be looking for 4 writers/artists to take part in Re:Generation, funded by ACE.
Living Words run residencies in care homes across the South East. We work one to one with people living with a dementia, to create individual books that express how each person feels in the here and now. We then work with care home staff to implement the use of the books as a communication bridge. We publish anthologies of participants’ words and create performance work in response to the residencies. www.livingwords.org.uk
Chosen individuals will take part in Re:New – an in-depth, paid training one and a half days per week across eight weeks. During Re:New you will:
- be trained in Living Words ‘listen out loud’ methodology.
- work in a care home and rehearsal room; you will work with individuals experiencing a dementia, turning their words into books.
- participate in a Living Words workshop with care home staff.
- present the work at a care home sharing day and artists’ sharing event.
- keep a journal throughout the project – this will form part of the evaluation process.
- have the opportunity to be one of Living Words’ team, running care home residencies with other artists from Winter 2015.
We are looking for individuals who use the spoken and written word in their art form and feel drawn to working with people experiencing a dementia. You do not need to be a writer (though of course you might be). Living Words artists are made up of poets, actors, performance artists, fine artists, improvisers, playwrights and none of the above.
If you are interested please drop us a simple CV and up to 500 words on why you feel this might be for you. And feel free to contact us if you have any preliminary questions. This training is happening in London.
Application deadline: Fri 16th Jan 2015.
Project dates: Feb 2nd – April 2nd 2015.
Fees: £150/day. £100/half day