Middle Child Theatre, based in Hull, are always on the lookout for writers to commission. They are specifically interested in working with writers on gig theatre.
There are a number of strands of work for which they are seeking writers, from full-length and under 70 minute plays to short play festivals and longer-term seed commissions.
Criteria: You can either send work written specifically for this call out or pre-existing work, but please consider the following guidelines:
- Must include live music at its heart
- Be completely original (no adaptations or reworkings of classics)
- Be written for between 3 and 5 performers
They are particularly interested in work that:
- Is set in, or relevant to, the North of England
- Tells ‘untold’ stories
- Passes the Bechdel test and features female characters who do not exist purely in relation to male characters
- Acknowledges its audience in this space at this time
- Prioritises theatre as a social event – bringing people together for a good night out with big ideas in it
- Reflects the diversity of the country
How to apply: To apply, send the first 10 pages of an original script or a one page treatment with a sample scene to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: BBC Writersroom
2 thoughts on “Middle Child Theatre seeking scripts to commission”
I have full-length play scripts which seem to comply with requirements including “music at its heart.”
I am also working with others to develop children’s theatre at a base in Wales.
Could you let me know your postal address?
We just repost these opportunities so please contact the organisers directly with any questions.
Best of luck!