Call out for theatre makers, theatre companies and theatre artists- 10 micro-scale commissions available
As England opens up, treading tentatively along the roadmap announced on Monday 22 February, Northern Stage are inviting theatre makers, theatre companies and theatre artists based in the North East to help them – and audiences – get Out on the Toon.
Out on the Toon is an outdoor programming strand that aims to meet audiences where they are. It is a hyper-local and multi-local commissioning strand that responds to people and place.
They will support up to 10 theatre makers, theatre companies or theatre artists to present work that will be available for people to enjoy in their own neighbourhoods across the North East throughout June.
Whilst they are hopeful that we will have arrived at Stages 3 and 4 of the roadmap by then, they want the ambition of the work – in terms of who it can bring together – to be cautious and realistic in order to ensure it’s possible. Therefore, they welcome applications that will create interventions and happenings that meet audiences on their own, in groups of two or in households, at a social distance, to be enjoyed outdoors in a range of locations.
The work doesn’t need to be new, but are asking you to make work for where you are – in the North East – and where you know – this might be a specific location or a type of location (a high street for example) that can be found across the region.
They’re particularly interested in work that reimagines well-known-walks, parks and the coast or places we’ve got bored with during lockdown, breathing new life into those places and spaces.
- A theatre maker, theatre company or theatre artist based in the North East
- Work for your neighbourhood, thinking specifically about the where and the when
- Experience producing the kind of work you’re pitching and of presenting it in the locations you’re suggesting
- A budget for the cost of your idea along fair pay guidance.
- You will be responsible for making your idea a reality – delivering it on budget and on time
- You will prioritise the health of those you’re engaging– artists and audiences alike, by adhering to up-to-date Covid-19 safety guidance from the government.
- You will document the work so that we can celebrate it
- A commission of up to £2,500
- A working outdoors toolkit/guidance to support you in producing your work
- Clear guidance on what you can and can’t do at each stage of the roadmap and a health and safety / COVID-security toolkit
- A contact for any questions you might have
- Support to celebrate your work with a wider audience
Shortlisted artists invited to chat through the idea with the Out on the Toon team on Monday 19 April
Commission issued with timeline and budgets agreed on Friday 30 April 2021
For more information, visit Northern Stage’s website here.
Deadline: 9am on Monday 12 April