Writers are invited to submit short audio plays for the Christmas themed event.
A themed series of individual plays is to be written, recorded and broadcasted on Ocean City Radio.
- The plays should be connected in some way, it can be tenuous, to Plymouth (this is Plymouth, Devon but with humour or mystery one of the other 30 named such places in the world could do it) in either its content or the writer’s personal links to the area.
- Your play should run to close to 20 minutes in length.
- It is an intention to have Christmas music added to it at a later stage of recording. (You are allowed to suggest any ‘traditional’ music and this will be considered.)
- In light of the current health crisis, it is planned that only two actors will be made available for each play.
- Each actor can take on several roles within one play if so required.
- The front cover sheet with the play should only contain the title, cast of characters and nothing else.
- A final sheet should be attached with the play, listing your contact details, your or the play’s connection to Plymouth, the play’s genre if it has one (romance/thriller/war/sci-fi) and a brief synopsis if you wish.
- Ocean City Radio are listened to by an audience primarily in the age-range 29-49.
- Most plays will be broadcast in their daytime slots so language and content will need to reflect that.
Judging will be done anonymously and will be based on the first five and last five pages, initially.
The completed play should be submitted in a standard form such as a pdf to email@example.com before the deadline.
Entrants will be notified of the list of those selected for recording prior to December and those pieces will be scheduled for the Christmas period, on Ocean City Radio.
Agreement is made that the successful writers will have their play recorded, played over the radio and receive access to their own copy of the performance.
Please note: All writers and performers are unpaid. Ocean City Radio is staffed by volunteers. No adverts are being placed into the plays and no financial benefit will be gained from the plays being broadcast on Ocean City Radio.
Deadline for submissions: 8 August 2021
Source: BBC Writersroom