Player-Playwrights, London’s weekly forum for new stage writing, is holding an open competition for new short plays on the theme of ‘Them and Us’ for playwrights in London, Greater London or the Home Counties
The finals of the competition will be held at the Player-Playwrights venue, upstairs at the North London Tavern, 375 Kilburn High Road NW6 7QB on 10 July 2017, when each of the short-lied plays will receive a professional reading assessed by Steve Harper, literary manager of Theatre 503, and judged by members.
Player-Playwrights says: “Player-Playwrights is a long-established group of professional writers and actors which meets every Monday in London to read and discuss new work for stage and other media. Our presidents are Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran, who began their scriptwriting careers as members in the 1970s.
“Many of our writers have gone on to see their work produced in the UK and elsewhere. We read more than 30 plays a year and are always looking for ambitious new talent.
“If you want to know more, come along to one of our weekly readings at the North London Tavern (£2.50 if you join; £4 for guests) and discover how we provide a unique platform for writers to receive feedback on their scripts.”
What you get:
There will be a first prize of £300 and £200 for the runner up, £50 for the youngest of the other finalists and £50 each for best actors (male and female).
- There is an entry fee of £5 per script. Cheques made payable to Player Playwrights may be sent to: Kevin Mandry at 9 Cherry Tree Court, Dee Rd, Richmond TW9 2JW. For instructions on how to pay electronically, please contact Kevin on email@example.com
- Applicants must live within the area defined by Greater London and the Home Counties (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Surrey, and Sussex)
- Shortlisted writers will be required to become members of the Player-Playwrights group for their plays to be performed at the final, if not members already, and shall cast their plays from Player-Playwrights actor membership. Advice and assistance will be provided by the casting secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org. with a view to organising a rehearsal before the reading.
What to submit:
- Each entry must be given its own title and should have a running time of about 15 minutes: anything over 20 minutes or under 10 minutes will be disqualified
- The play may be set in any place and any time and in any genre
- For more information and to read the full competition rules, visit www.playerplaywrights.co.uk
How to apply:
Scripts must be submitted anonymously so please remove your name from all pages, including the front page, and include your name and all personal contact details in an accompanying email. Scripts must be sent by email to email@example.com
Deadline: Monday 29 May 2017 at 10am
Source: Direct contact