The Royal Court is currently accepting submission for its Introduction to Playwriting Groups.
The groups are a friendly and supportive environment where playwrights at an early stage of their career can explore the possibilities of writing for live performance. They are facilitated by a playwright the Royal Court is currently working with and excited by. At the end of the sessions, group members get to submit a play they have worked on during their time with the group, and receive detailed feedback on it. It’s perfect if you’ve got an interest in writing for the stage but little experience – none is required.
Schedule: The first group is scheduled to run for eight sessions to commence the week of the 21st July. The second group is scheduled to run for eight sessions to commence the week of 10th October. Sessions will be on either a Monday or Tuesday night. In both cases, each session will be around 2 hours long, starting at 6.30pm and taking place at the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square. There is no fee to take part and no age limit. If you are selected for the group but would be coming from outside London, they will be able to contribute towards your travel costs. The groups will be of twelve or less writers.
What to submit: To apply, please send ten pages of your writing for the stage: this can either be ten pages of an existing play of any length, or ten pages of work you have written specially.
Please attach to one email both your writing sample and the completed application form (taking care to include your own name in the name of each file). The application form can be downloaded from the link on the left hand side of their webpage.
How to apply: Please send applications to: email@example.com
Some important points to note:
- Your extract can be of any genre and feature any number of characters, but must be intended for the stage and not for film, television or radio. It should not be an adaptation of a story from another medium.
- If you are sending your application electronically, please include your name somewhere in the document’s file names, i.e. firstnamesurnamesubmission.doc or firstnamesurnameapplication.pdf.
- Please send your documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .pdf format.
- Do not include any other materials (photographs, CVs etc).
- You can send an application if you’ve applied before, but please do not apply for this group if you have taken part in an introductory group at the Royal Court since 2005.
- We will not be able to send you feedback on your submission and because of the volume we receive, we can’t take late applications (so send it in early!)
- You will receive an acknowledgement whether you send your script by email or post.
- If you’ve applied before and not been successful, you can send the same extract – but it’s possibly worth sending something more recent!
- If you could make one set of dates but not the other, please just send an application at this stage as they’ll work out group allocation later.
Deadline: Tuesday 7 June 2016 at noon
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook Group