BOLD Playwrights apply!
BOLD is dedicated to transforming empty buildings into creative performing arts spaces & BOLD Elephant – a space to create, is our first.
As well as creating our own work, we want to champion & support the work of playwrights. We believe there are too few opportunities for writers to develop their plays in a process that involves other creatives & enables them to ‘see’ their work. So, we are thrilled to launch BOLD Playwrights: an exciting new playwright & play development programme.
BOLD Playwrights is a free scheme that offers two playwrights a rare opportunity to have a first draft developed from page to stage. The scheme includes dramaturgical sessions & workshops with dramaturg, director & actors. It culminates in a final semi-staged rehearsed reading at BOLD Elephant for an invited industry audience. This project is funded by the BOLD company.
BOLD Playwrights is designed to support playwrights through five stages of developing a play, from first draft to first industry reading, over the course of 12 weeks.
The BOLD Playwrights Scheme will be divided into the following stages:
WORDS Dramaturgical workshops focused on an already written first draft:
- An initial meeting to discuss the writer’s inspiration and vision
- An initial script read and preparation of notes
- A follow up dramaturgical meeting to discuss the development of the play.
- A 2nd script read and preparation of notes
ACTIONS Development workshops with actors:
- One day (or 2 x ½ days) workshop with dramaturg & actors
- Observe the actors responding to your script
- Hear your words & receive feedback from the actors
VISIONS Development workshops with actors & a director:
- 2-days of workshops with actors, directors, dramaturg
- Experience being in the rehearsal room as a writer
- Develop a relationship with the director
- Observe their work on your play with the actors
- See your play take shape
STAGING A rehearsal process culminating in a semi-staged reading for an invited audience:
- A further 2 days of rehearsals with dramaturg, director & actors
- An evening script in hand / semi-staged performance with an invited industry audience at the end of the second day
FUTURES A session for the writer, with dramaturg & director in which to assess, reflect, discuss feedback, evaluate & consider future options.
The project is expected to take place between June – Sept 2021 on dates to be agreed.
We will confirm your submission, the outcome of your application & all applicants will be notified about future opportunities at BOLD Elephant. We are running this first BOLD Playwrights Scheme as a pilot project & if successful we hope to run it for more writers in 2022. Please let us know if you would not like to be included on our mailing list.
Shortlisted applicants will receive feedback & be invited to meet in person / remotely during June. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer feedback to everyone who applies.
WHO CAN APPLY
UK residents over 18 years old.
You will need the first draft of a stage play that you’re interested in developing.
All levels of experience are welcome & we would particularly encourage playwrights who identify as Global Ethnic Majority, LGBTQIA+, marginalised genders, neurodivergent, d/Deaf, disabled, visually impaired, 1st & 2nd generation immigrants, women over 40 & working class to apply.
To apply or find out more information, visit Bold theatre’s website here.
Deadline: 23:59, Fri 23rd April 2021.
Source: Bold Theatre