Tamasha is now seeking submissions for its next Scratch event on Friday, 5 September 2014 at Rich Mix, E1. Scratch nights provide an opportunity for artists to showcase their work in a professional setting to a public audience. This enables the artists to test out their work and to receive feedback to further develop their ideas.
Theme/Prompt: In their own words:
We are looking for submissions on the theme of ‘Community’ – community has become a byword for so many things in contemporary society – from the local to the global, and everything in between. We hear of cultural communities, communities of interest, the power of community, of being part of the community, or isolated from it.
As a means of connecting with humanity, engaging with people sharing our interests, practicing what we are passionate about; community can encourage strength, hope and unification. It can also lead to dispute, revolution and violence. For this Scratch we are looking for pieces of work that tell powerful stories on the theme ‘Community’ – what does this mean to you and your work?
Artists are invited to submit theatrical, visual or written pieces – scenes and stories that explore this theme. Please contact them if you’d like to discuss your piece in advance.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to artists from all backgrounds and locations. Artists are encouraged to submit works in mediums such as video, animation and photography as well as new writing for theatre. Successful submissions will be showcased during the Scratch evening and those that are ‘online friendly’ will also be considered for the Tamasha Online Gallery:www.tamasha.org.uk/small-lives-global-ties-gallery.
What you get: Tamasha can offer:
- support and mentoring if necessary to realise written pieces into a public performance
- access to rehearsal space if required (subject to availability)
- increased exposure by marketing your involvement via our email database and social media
- the opportunity to get audience feedback on your work
- the opportunity to network with peers at the end of the event
- a fee of £100 for each piece selected
What to submit: Submissions should be:
- Existing work or work in progress, which will be ready for public viewing on 5 September, 2014.
- No more than 15 minutes in duration (either a complete piece or an extract from a longer piece). Performances in particular may involve a cast of no more than 3 characters (monologues that are character driven, and reveal a narrative beneath, are encouraged)
- A piece that requires minimal technical set-up. If live music will be included in any way, please keep it simple!
- be broadly consistent with Tamasha’s vision as a company
- be accompanied by a separate application for each piece (applicants may enter more than one work)
How to apply: Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘September Scratch’ by Friday 1 August, midday. Applications must include a completed data form – click here to download>.
If you are interested in submitting your piece, please send:
- An outline of the work that you would like to be considered – please include: the length of the work; any previous public showings or performances etc. (maximum 500 words)
- A statement on what you hope to get out of taking part in the Scratch (max 500 words)
- A draft copy of the work (while there will be time for editing/re-working upon inclusion in the scratch, the quality of the work is of primary importance).
- Any film, animation, photographs or other visually-based submissions should be sent through a link (eg. through Vimeo, YouTube, or Flickr). Please do not send any visual material via email!
- A current CV
Deadline: Friday 1 August 2014 at noon