Writer submissions are open for the Director’s Club Showcase ‘The Faces of One Day’ on Monday 29th July at Southwark Playhouse. Submit 5-7 minute monologues, duologues, or short plays with a maximum of 4 characters which explore the concept that all the characters in the play are speaking to the same person across the course of one day. Together the writers’ voices selected will build the life of one person and all the people they face during one day from the moment they wake up to the very end of the day.
- 5-7 minute monologues, duologues, or plays with up to a maximum of 4 characters
- The characters are speaking to someone specific, yet no name of the person they are talking to, nor gender, age or details about what the person looks like will be mentioned (to help create the experience that the characters could be talking to anyone)
- They are looking for a range of characters, with strong voices
- They are interested in how these characters relate to our mystery protagonist (that the audience will never meet), how do we discover more about this person, through the faces they see and relationships they have with the people in their life? How do we build an idea of who someone is based on the relations of those around them? Who are the people in their life? What secrets do they have? What are the stories that fill their life? How do others feel about them? How do they speak to them? How do they shape them? Respond to our protagonist? Affect our protagonist?
- They enjoy pieces that evoke emotion; are comical, dark, moving, provoke etc
- A piece can either be performed in one go (e.g 7 minute monologue), or if this is a character that may appear several times in a person’s day, the piece can be written for different times of that day (e.g 10am – first 2 minutes, 3pm next 2 minutes, 6pm last 4 minutes)
- The characters can be face to face with our protagonist or be contacting them in another way (e.g voicemail, phone conversation etc)
- Please include the rough ‘timing’ this person meets with our protagonist (e.g. 8am, morning, lunch time, 4:30pm, midnight… etc). A location is also welcome.
They are looking forward to reading writers’ submissions, discovering who our mystery protagonist is and the people in their life! All submissions will be read when they are sent in and one of their team will provide the outcome to every applicant once all entries have been read.
How to apply: please send scripts in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information click here.
Visit their website for full details and to join their writers’ database
Deadline: 6 July 2019 at midnight
Source: BBC Writersroom