Write Angles – formerly the Southend Playwriting Festival 2015 – is now looking for entries. The Festival, entering its fifth year, will present selected plays as rehearsed readings at the Dixon Studio, Palace Theatre, Westcliff on Sea, Essex, UK.
What to submit: In 2015 there will be 3 submission categories:
- Young Writers (16-25 yrs of age at submission)
Anyone can enter the festival with plays of any genre, except musicals, as long as they are simple to stage. The maximum running time for entries is 45 minutes – there is no minimum running time. Authors can submit extracts from full plays to this running time (or less) or complete pieces. Authors submitting extracts will need to include a synopsis which can be given to the audience before the performance begins.
Full Circle Theatre will chose the festival programme and the overall winner and their decision will be final.
What you pay: £5 entry fee.
What you get: Working with professional actors, the plays are performed at the Dixon Studio, Palace Theatre, Westcliff on Sea, Essex, UK. In 2015 the Festival will form part of a wider performing arts festival in the region, so selected plays will be performed in the first half of the evening and other performance artists will appear in the second half.
Additionally, a cash prize £250 will be awarded to the overall Festival winner (one from the three categories).
How to apply: Entries can be submitted via their online form. Please ensure your entry meets the following criteria:
- Entries must be written in English, certified as an original piece of work and copyrighted by the author. All entries must be submitted electronically email@example.com
- Each submission (play) carries an entry fee of £5 to cover reading fees. Entry fees must be paid prior to submission by BACS to Lloyds Bank, sort code 77-08-08, account number 57719168, account name Write Angles Treasurers Account. Authors must use their submission email address as a reference (plus number of play submitted) to ensure we can cross-reference payment to script received.
- Authors can submit as many entries as they like – but please note each entry (play) carries an entry fee of £5.
When submitting entries, writers are asked to put the following details at the head of their script:
- Authors Name
- Confirmation of originality of work and copyright by author
- Authors email address used to submit play
- Category entered: Comedy/Drama/Young Playwright (aged 16-25 years at date of submission)
Deadline: 10 October 2014
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook