*Editors note: sorry this one’s not open to London based writers but it’s a such a good opportunity for our Northern friends, that we couldn’t leave it out…*
– Deaf and/or disabled?
– Passionate about theatre?
– A writer keen to develop your writing skills for performance?
– Based in the Yorkshire, Humberside or the North East of England?
Write to Play is an exciting new writing initiative from Graeae Theatre Company to cultivate and promote Deaf and disabled writers.
Working with some of the best new writing venues in the UK, top quality training will be offered alongside live performance opportunities, so that five aspiring writers can go on to develop a career in playwriting. The successful writers will get a fee of £1800 (paid in instalments) for their participation in the programme and all access requirements will be met.
Following two successful years of the programme, we’re delighted that the new writing venue partners for year 3 will be West Yorkshire Playhouse, Live Theatre Newcastle and Hull Truck Theatre. Applications are now open for writers based in Yorkshire, Humberside and the North East.
The programme consists of a five day course exploring approaches to writing for performance, six half day workshops led by theatre practitioners working in the industry, three short live performance opportunities working with actors and directors, and at the end of the year, an opportunity to showcase work that has been developed over the course of the year. Each writer will be placed with one mentor, who throughout the year will offer guidance and dramaturgical support.
Graeae is a force for change in world-class theatre – breaking down barriers, challenging preconceptions and boldly placing Deaf and disabled artists centre stage.
Artistically led by Jenny Sealey and with offices based in East London, Graeae’s signature characteristic is the compelling creative integration of sign language and audio description, which engages brilliantly with both disabled and non-disabled audiences. Championing accessibility and providing a platform for new generations of artists, Graeae leads the way in pioneering, trail-blazing theatre.
They are looking for applicants who:
– Identify as Deaf and/or disabled
– Live and/or work in Yorkshire, Humberside or the North East
– Have a passion and commitment to writing for stage
– Have experience of writing for performance and are eager to learn and develop their skills
– Are able to commit to the whole programme. A full schedule will be sent to shortlisted applicants
How to apply:
They would like three things from you as part of your application:
1. A statement of interest. In no more than 400 words, please tell us a bit about yourself and why this opportunity interests you.
2. An example of your work. Please send us no more than 10-15 pages of text for performance. You may also wish to send us a link to your work being performed if you have one.
3. A story. Tell us a story in no more than 200 words (this can take any form).
Please remember to include your full name, contact details and post code on your application, and state your preferred method of contact (telephone/email)
Please send your application, or direct any questions you may have to email@example.com
If you would like this information in a different format, or require any assistance with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7613 6900020 7613 6900.
Deadline: 12pm on Monday 13 July 2015. Interviews are currently scheduled for week commencing 10 August 2015.
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook page