RABBLE Theatre are a professional regional theatre company and charity based in Reading, producing new writing and site-specific theatre which amplifies the local stories and heritage of Reading. RABBLE are passionate about platforming often unheard voices and increasing a sense of community and belonging to our town, through arts and culture.
RABBLE Theatre are embarking on a two-year project, in collaboration with Launchpad Reading (a charity working to prevent homelessness) to raise awareness of the complexities of homelessness in Reading (and across the UK) and to reduce social isolation within these communities.
In Autumn 2024, RABBLE will stage a verbatim play and will provide a selection of work experience opportunities to those facing disadvantage in Reading, on the production. The project will also include participatory projects with targeted individuals; using the arts to develop employability skills, build confidence and reduce social isolation.
RABBLE are looking for a writer who specialises in writing verbatim plays and/or writing for communities to be part of our two year project. Role will include:
- Researching and building relationships with organisations and homeless individuals in the community (working alongside RABBLE’s Community Associate)
- Conducting interviews and fostering trusting relationships with participants
- Facilitating and/or supporting weekly participatory projects with targeted individuals based at Launchpad 135 (not essential)
- A schedule of writing, delivering three drafts of a script across an 18 month time frame, including an R&D in Autumn 2023
RABBLE are particularly interested in connecting with writers who:
(Desirable, not essential)
- Have a background and/or interest in theatre for social change/impact
- Have a direct or indirect experience of homelessness or adversity
- Have experience in delivering participatory workshops and community projects
- Are local or have links to Reading
To submit your interest, please send a short cover letter or 1 minute video outlining your interest and suitability along with a CV or website, to firstname.lastname@example.org. For selected applicants, the next stage will consist of an informal conversation to discuss the project brief in further detail, your experience and key dates.