Room 204 is Writing West Midlands’ writer development programme. Every year they select a small number of emerging writers from the West Midlands to work with them on a programme of creative writing career development.
Room 204 has been running yearly since 2012 and to date, over 100 writers have joined the programme and seen their writing careers take off as direct result of being part of Room 204.
This is your chance to secure mentoring and career development worth over £1,000!
This year, they are also partnering with Word Factory to be able to offer ONE Word Factory Apprentice Award for a West Midlands Short Story writer.
The successful candidates will receive a year of support including:
- 1-1 meetings, 2 times a year, with experienced Writing West Midlands staff.
- A year’s membership to the Society of Authors
- Access to a “writer buddying” scheme.
- Group networking and career development sessions.
- Occasional workshops on particular themes such as pitching, fundraising, time management or digital writing.
- Tailored signposting and brokering via Writing West Midlands towards performance and development opportunities, potential collaborators, bursaries, courses and events that might benefit the individual writer.
- Access to a private information-sharing and support group on Facebook.
- A free place at the National Writers’ Conference on 22 June 2019, run by Writing West Midlands.
- Ongoing support as a member of Room 204 beyond the 1st year.
Room 204 is a varied and relaxed scheme that gives you the chance to be part of a writing community while not demanding a lot of your time – allowing you to get on with the actual business of writing.
Who can apply: Room 204 is for emerging writers living, working or studying in the West Midlands who are looking for career development. They recruit 15 writers per year.
Room 204 is free to participants and is funded by Arts Council England as part of the work of Writing West Midlands.
How to apply: applications MUST be made online. They regret they are not able to accept emailed or posted applications
Deadline: 31 January 2019 at 12 noon
Please take a moment to read the submission criteria further down this page before starting your online submission: