Yellow Earth is launching a two-year Professional Writers Programme for writers of East Asian descent led by Caroline Jester.
Four early career writers will be selected to take part with the aim of developing at least one play for the company to produce.
If you are a writer of drama of East Asian descent with a new idea for theatre, this programme will develop your idea and craft by providing support from industry experts.
What you get:
- A seed commission of £2,000 per writer to include all travel and expenses
- Six writing workshops held at Soho Theatre, Dean Street, London W1 in year one
- Eight one to one dramaturgy meetings
- Development workshops with actors and directors
- Public readings
- Industry connections
Eligibility: The Professional Writers’ Programme is open to all writers of East Asian descent from across the UK but 6 writing workshops will be held in London on a Saturday and you will be expected to attend all of them. The one to one dramaturgy meetings can be held remotely.
All applicants must live and work in the UK. East Asia includes the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, North Korea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and their Diasporas.
What to submit:
- An outline and a sample scene for the new play you would like to work on if selected for this programme
- One previous full length piece of work in your chosen medium; theatre, radio or screen.
How to apply:
- Submit an application form which can be downloaded from the website. Completed application forms and your submitted documents should be emailed to email@example.com.
- The reading process to select writers will be anonymous, please do NOT include your name and contact details on your outline & sample scene or on your full length piece. Your name and contact details should be on the application form only.
- The document file names of each of your submitted documents should be as follows: Title of your new play_OUTLINE_SAMPLE SCENE. Title of your new play _PLAY TITLE OF FULL LENGTH PIECE.
Deadline: Friday 17 February 2017 at 5pm
Source: BBC Writersroom