Masterclass: Introduction to Playwriting with Fin Kennedy
Saturday 4 June 2016, 10 – 6pm, London
Location: Tamasha (Rich Mix, Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA)
This one-day workshop for beginners aims to introduce some basic principles of dramatic storytelling, and demystify some key terms.
What is the difference between Story, Plot and Narrative? Or between Objective and Motivation? Why is character Action important and how is it built up to generate interesting and unexpected Events?
With reference to professional texts from the recent canon of new British theatre writing, this practical class will break down several scenes to reveal the ‘architecture’ beneath, in order to give participants the tools to structure and write their own original scenes from scratch.
Writing time will be factored into the day, and verbal feedback offered on participants’ writing.
Fin Kennedy is an award-winning playwright, Artistic Director of Tamasha, visiting Lecturer at Central Saint Martins (MA Dramatic Writing) and previous Lecturer Goldsmiths University (MA Writing for Performance).
Eligibility: This workshop is suitable for:
* Those with no experience of playwrighting.
* For actors / directors / theatre artists who want to explore if writing is for them.
* For writers with some experience who would like a refresher.
Please phone the office if you are unsure if it is for you / would like to talk it through.
This is open to artists from all cultural backgrounds.
Workshop fee: £50 (inc VAT) for the full day.
What to submit: No formal qualifications are necessary to apply, however applicants must demonstrate an interest in writing for theatre.
Applications should include:
1) Your current CV if you have one, including any relevant experience (this does not have to specifically refer to your writing interests), or a short (max 500 words) statement of interest including your particular interest in this masterclass
2) A completed Data Form which you can download here>
How to apply: Please email Anuja on firstname.lastname@example.org with your application with subject line ‘Introduction to playwriting workshop’ or call the office on 0207 749 0090 if you have any questions.
Deadline: Friday 20 May 2015 at midday