The Canal Café Theatre in west London is launching a new playwriting scheme to be the final part of its American season.
Russell Lucas, theatre director and an associate at The Canal Cafe said: “This one is a little different to ‘send us your play’ as we areaccepting ‘pitches’ rather than finished scripts.
“It is also going to be the final part of The American Season as we presented an American classic back in October (Driving Miss Daisy by Alfred Uhry), a contemporary in February (The Understudy by Theresa Rebeck); and we are now seeking a brand new piece inspired by the current American political climate.”
What you get: The Canal Café aim to reply to every applicant. The chosen playwright receives £400.00 to support the writing of their new play for a limited run at The Canal Café Theatre in October 2017. Throughout the collaborative process you will have dramaturgical support from director Russell Lucas and production support from the venue.
- Applications are sought from writers who have an initial idea for a 60 minute play inspired by the current American political climate.
- The Canal Café is not accepting complete plays as this initiative is aimed at inspiring, developing and then finally presenting the work at the end of the six months.
- The final play will be one act (60 minutes or less) and not have received any staging anywhere in the world.
- The play can feature up to three actors.
- The American Season is presented in traverse or in-the-round style seating with one entrance/exit.
- You must present your initial title, full plot synopsis and one scene from the play.
- You may include character breakdowns, actor requirements and staging needs to support your application.
- Once the submission period is closed, the artistic team will select writers that will go through to the next round. Further details will be provided to the selected applicants.
How to apply: Please submit your idea to: CTAmerican@gmail.com
Deadline: 31 March 2017
Source: Direct contact