A short-term writer in residence opportunity at HM Prison Ford. The writer will devise and deliver a series of creative writing workshops for prisoners as part of the Reading the South project.
HMP Ford is a Category D establishment with an emphasis on resettlement, an open prison, housing 550 offenders most of whom have fewer than two years left to serve. The workshops will result in the creation of a published chapbook and include a commission element. Experience in similar environments is desirable.
The writer will work with West Sussex Library Service provision at the prison library. The 4-6 sessions will run for one afternoon and one evening a week during January-February 2016.
The writer will be contracted on a freelance basis by Creatives Across Sussex on behalf of West Sussex County Council Library Service and East Sussex Library and Information Services. Total fee for the assignment (including VAT) is £2,500. Out-of-pocket expenses will be paid in addition and to an agreed maximum amount, payable on provision of receipts.
The writer will undergo a security vetting process. The writer will be expected to take part in a formal induction at HMP Ford which will cover (but not be limited to) health and safety within the prison environment.
…and title your application email ‘Reading the South – HMP Ford application’ for a full person specification. Please send applications to the same address. Your application should include:
- a letter outlining how you meet the Person Specification and why you want to take on this writer assignment at HMP Ford.
- an outline of some initial ideas on how you would fulfil the project aims.
- a CV (including your publication/performance history and your experience of working in community settings).
- a sample of your work – a maximum of 1500 words.
- contact details for two referees – one of whom must be from a community project.
Deadline for submitting applications is noon, Monday 16th November 2015.
Source: Arts Jobs