The Stückemarkt of the Berliner Theatertreffen is looking for innovative theatre languages and diverse forms of authorship. We would like to invite theatre makers from all parts of Europe to apply by submitting their latest plays. Theatre texts and finished productions can be submitted, the medium of language should be a main aspect of the work. We particularly encourage the submission of projects that deal with the political dimension of narration, question the power structures in our society and open up alternative world views.
The Stückemarkt’s jury of artists will select a total of five works from among the submissions. These plays will be presented within the programme of the Theatertreffen, in a format that corresponds with their form – as staged readings, performances, lectures, site-specific formats etc.
In cooperation with the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung (Federal Agency for Civic Education), the Stückemarkt will bestow a commission of work to one of the invited artists or groups. This comes with prize money in the amount of 7000.- Euro and includes the production of a new work at a theatre in Germany.
The Stückemarkt of the Theatertreffen is the oldest promoting initiative for contemporary drama in the German language area. By discovering new voices for the theatre, it has been promoting innovation for 37 years. As the first funding programme, the Stückemarkt expanded the concept of dramatic texts in 2012 to include a variety of forms of plays in the competition.
Conditions for participation at Stückemarkt 2016
- Theatre makers from all parts of Europe can apply. They should be at the beginning of their careers.
- Every theatre maker can only submit one project.
- The submitted work may not be older than one year at the time of the application.
- Theatres, publishing houses and academies can also submit plays.
To find out more, visit the Berliner Festspiele website.
What to submit: The following can be submitted:
- Theatre texts. They should not have been premiered in the German language region and there should be no agreements for presentation before June 2015. During the selection process, the authors are obliged to inform the Stückemarkt of any changes in the status of the work. The theatre texts can be submitted in English or German.
- Theatre projects. These should be fully completed. Their submission should be in the form of a clear recording of a performance (video recording in the original language, with German or English subtitles, if available) and a text sample (around 4 to 8 pages in German or English).
Other necessary documents for 1. and 2. (in German or English):
- A short summary of the play or project description
- A short artistic CV in tabular form
- A significant letter of recommendation from a person working in the theatre or in the literary/academic field, with reference to the submitted play, if possible (1 page)
Additional necessary documents for 2. (in German or English):
- If applicable, a technical rider including a budget for a guest performance
- If applicable, a production plan for any necessary adaptations of the project for a performance in Berlin
How to apply: Please send your complete application – text files in pdf-format and links to performance recordings – per e-mail to email@example.com.
At the same time, please fill out the registration form.
Deadline: 1 December 2015