The Bench is proud to announce that the Supernova festival of new writing will be returning next year, for its seventh edition. Over the past fourteen years many things have changed, but the festival remains a prominent showcase of original one-act plays, each one composed by amateur playwrights, and produced and performed by their own award-winning membership.
They are aiming to display around 8 new pieces of writing in February of next year, with each piece being performed within the production week. To this end they would love to hear from anyone who would like to send a script to contemplate – whether you are a veteran of writing for the stage, a local author who is considering turning their hand to script writing, or a complete novice with an idea for a play, they will gratefully consider your work, and are very keen to put on as wide a range of interesting and high-quality work as we can.
There is no fee for entering your piece to the festival. If you have any queries about the festival, you can drop them a line at email@example.com
(You may also wish to look at the production details of Supernova 6, the last edition of this event, to get a flavour of the festival.)
What to submit:
- The play should be able to be performed by a maximum of 6 actors (but could contain any number of characters)
- Plays must consist of a single act. Playwrights should aim for compositions of between 15 and 45 minutes, short plays are just as welcome as longer ones!
- Plays should be written for an English-speaking audience
- Plays must be original, unpublished and previously unperformed, with no performance rights attached, and they must be new to the Supernova festival – not submitted to previous editions
- Plays should be able to be performed within the constraints of our space, the Spring Arts Centre, and please bear in mind the nature of the festival – they will be unable to include plays which require complex sets, effects or costumes.
- There is no fee for entering plays for consideration, but they are now only allowing three scripts per author.
Submitting your play(s) gives the Bench Theatre the right to perform it/them on the dates given here, without further payment, however copyright remains with the author. They are sadly unable to offer any payment to successful entrants.
How to apply: As submissions are read and considered anonymously, please ensure that your name does not appear anywhere on any of your scripts
Scripts must be submitted electronically; please email a PDF, Word or OpenDocument file to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name in the email
Deadline: 31 August 2015 at midnight
Source: Playwriting UK Facebook Group