The purpose of the Oxford Samuel Beckett Theatre Trust award is, in particular, to help the development of emerging practitioners in the field of experimental theatre, and, in general, to encourage the new generation of creative artists.
The award is for a company or individual to create either a show to be performed for The Pit Theatre, Barbican, or a site-responsive, non-traditional show to take place in the east London or in the City of London. The winning show, either in The Pit or, if site-responsive, elsewhere, will be part of the Barbican Theatre & Dance season.
The Award comprises:
- Research and Development grants of up to £2,500 each
- A production grant of up to £32,000. The size of the production grant (up to this amount) will depend on the scale of the show and a justified production budget
- A mentor for the project
- In-kind support from the Barbican, including press, marketing and some technical and administrative support
Eligibility: You are eligible to apply if you meet the following requirements:
- Long-term normal residents of the UK or Ireland (3 years or more).
- Demonstrable commitment to British or Irish performing arts.
- Artists from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Production experience i.e. at least two or three fringe, or similar scale, productions in either the UK or Ireland.
- All proposals must have an artistic leader attached to it, i.e. director or choreographer, who must be a long-term normal resident of the UK or Ireland (3 years or more).
Thowe NOT eligible to apply include:
- Those in full-time education.
- Artists or companies who have already had several main stage shows, or worked repeatedly with leading theatre venues, or are already well established artists or companies.
- Companies that are Regularly Funded Organisations from the Arts Council.
- Shows with a previous production history (excluding Research and Development work).
- Proposals without an artistic leader (e.g., a director, choreographer).
How to apply: Application forms (and additional information on how to apply) can be downloaded via the Barbican website.
Applications should be emailed to OSBTTA@barbican.org.uk. Late applications and those other than by email will not be accepted. Please ensure you have read the additional information (attached below), especially the eligibility criteria.
Oxford Samuel Beckett Theatre Trust Award welcome applications from a range of diverse backgrounds. The Barbican also welcomes applications from disabled and non-disabled people and invite individuals to get in touch if they have specific access requirements.
Deadline: 5 December 2016
Source: Barbican email list